Friday, September 23, 2011

Being Proud. Raise Your Glass.

I may tell every person that I come into contact with that I am a cancer survivor. I may re-live parts of it for them. Really, I don't care how many times I tell the story, I don't care how much it sounds repetitive to me and to others who have heard it before. It is what it is and I have earned the right to be proud of myself. I have earned the right to tell everyone that I am a cancer survivor. I don't expect sympathy, mercy, or extra generosity. What I do expect is to be proud of myself. I still go through pains every month that reminds me of the side-effects of chemotherapy. What I do expect, is for me to remember how strong I was and that I can take on anything. The person that I told, should know that they are not dealing with a fragile little flower.

Being proud of yourself for going through the hardships that you have taken on in life is not a bad thing. Certainly, we should have humility and thankfulness to God for bringing us through and not to brag. That does not mean we should hide it away and never discuss it again. It's a big deal if you went through weight loss, getting sober, detoxing from drugs, or had a rough childhood. You went through something that was extremely difficult and you need to be proud of that.

So today, I raise a glass to myself. I honor myself by being proud of powering through one of the hardest things, Cancer. Not only beating it, with God's mercy, but by remaining close to God, being a strong person through it and not giving up on my life just because I got diagnosed. This shows that I am stronger than what I realize.

What can you be proud of? Do you run every day? Are you a victim advocate? Have you lost a lot of weight? Do you have chronic pain but put on a smile every day? Are you a mom who does everything in house, plus raise the half-crazed children? Doctor who saves lives?

Whatever it is: Raise a glass to yourself, be humble, but give yourself some credit. Life isn't easy. Be proud of who you are.

No comments: