Monday, December 22, 2008

BIG NEWS!

Is everyone ready for Christmas? I sure hope so! I hope everyone has a happy and safe Christmas. Don't eat too many cookies! I know I will be having a lot of rice pudding. :)

I hope you remember the true meaning of Christmas while you are unwrapping the many brightly colored presents. Remember that family is the closest thing to you and if you don't have any- then I would adopt my closest friends as family. : )

I went to church on Sunday and listened to a fantastic sermon given by Matt Heard, the pastor. While he was talking he painted a picture of what Angles look like. Do they really look like humans? Ever wonder what heaven is like? I'm pretty excited to find out. I can only imagine what the horror of death would bring to the people who do not know of heaven. I would be terrified to die, not knowing what is on the other side.
However, in my terms, it's pretty interesting to think of no thought of time and walking in heaven with my family...for eternity. What a joke. I can't comprehend it and that is the key ingredient in making it so interesting.

Oh! The big news! Yeah, so, I got back my first round of genetic counseling results. The report states exactly, " ....this means it is very unlikely that her colon adenocarcinoma was caused by changes to genes associated with Hereditary Non-Polyposis Colon Cancer." All markers in the blood are stable and all proteins in DNA mismatch are fine, with no deficiencies.
What does this mean? Well, I do not carry the gene for colon cancer. This is big news for the family because it's a better chance that the cancer will not come back. Also, it's good news for extended family to hear. Why? Because it means that it is a freak thing that I got cancer. Yeah, we don't know the reason. Everything looks fine and is expressed in my DNA and blood. Am I creeping you out yet?

So, I'm rather happy with those results. Actually, I'm almost tripping over myself with excitement. My family should be too....all blood related relatives. Does it bother me that I do not have a reason for this cancer? Absolutely not, I would rather be empty without a cause than to know I carry the gene. Ignorance is bliss, eh?

So I finished out the semester, with pretty good grades. I have also signed up for more classes next semester, online at the Colorado Denver University. I will be on track to still get my Bachelors. Work is still going along. I'm trying to keep up with the energy and level that everyone has here. bahahahahaha! Are you kidding me?! It's really not that difficult anymore since the chemo has been done.

Speaking of that... Chemo wipes you out. Seriously, no joke, you are dead tired randomly throughout the day. I could fall asleep on my desk for two hours without moving. Keeping my eyes open is where all my energy goes to for a few hours in the day. It is mind blowing to me how tired I get...I have never felt this before. Then night hits...all day you've been trying to stay awake and then the stupid night swallows you up and all you can't do is sleep.

Ugh, what a rollercoaster.
Thanks everyone for the continued support and gifts. You have no idea how much you all mean to me.
Thank you thank you. : )

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is fantastic news, Jo! It has been good to read your blog/journey - when I read it I think about Chicky Boom Boom and what an amazing aunt she has in you.

Have a Merry Christmas - and we'll see you in the mountains!

Hope said...

Jo! You got an amazing Christmas gigt this year! Thats wonderful news!
Christmas is about being with family and there is no greater gift than that for me!
I hope you have a blessed Christmas and New Year!
Eat your heart out this season!
Thank you for letting me be apart of this journey with you! It means a lot to me!
Love you!

May God keep Blessing you during this time of celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ!

Hibbitts Family said...

Great news, Jo! I think the Healing Angel will bring much more to you in the weeks to come! Keeping you in my prayers.
Merry Christmas!
Ingrid