Monday, October 20, 2008

Some Good Stuff for the mind...

Hi everyone!

We went to the surgeon today to get a rigid sigmoidoscopy. I did this without sedation. (and you thought that I would have learned....haha.)
The tumor is 15cm high. Basically, it is on the border between colon and rectal cancer. With that being said, no one really wants to diagnose me with a specific cancer. hahaha.
Anyway, good news- there is no colostomy bag. : )

Also, we got some REALLY good news today. The pet scan results came in! The cancer is contained in the tumor. As far as they can tell, it has not spread to any lymph nodes nor major organs. Which means.... that I may possibly be downgraded to stage 2 colon cancer! This is excellent news due to the fact that stage 4 is basically terminal.

I went to work today. (this is good) I've been up since very early in the morning. My procedure was at 7:30 at Penrose. It hurt, quite a bit. It wasn't nearly as bad as the colonoscopy. The worse part of it was the air that they put in you, it makes your tummy cramp like nothing else. Ryan and mom went with me. (along with Franklin and Einstein, the bears)

Dr. Nagy is honestly an excellent doctor and very optimistic. He is very nice and explains everything in good detail. He has scheduled me in for surgery on Friday. This is not meaning that the surgery will be on Friday. It is just in case I need to do it.
IF you are thinking about coming to Colorado for the surgery, as some have asked, I would ask you to hold off for just a bit. At least until I am close to or out of the hospital. IF you plan on visiting me in the hospital ( I won't ever turn away visitors. : ) I would please ask you to come some other time besides Friday and early-mid Saturday. Late Saturday and on will be fine.
Friday is day of surgery- so you won't be able to see me for long anyway...I'll be out. Early-mid Saturday, I probably won't be feeling good and just trying to get my head into gear. So I probably won't want to talk that much. If you come, I would like to talk to you, not have you just stare at me. hehe.

This may not even take place yet- we will know by tomorrow.
Once again thanks for all the prayers! I appreciate it. My whole family, Ryan, and I will be in need of it for awhile. Ryan and I are needing it not only for the cancer but to decide what to do and where to go in the future.

Thanks again everyone!

10 comments:

Kimberly said...

Excellent news about a possible "downgrade" and no colostomy bag! Although, it woulda been kinda cool to know someone else with a matching colostomy scar =) I am sure you and Ryan will get a sign soon as you search for answers and the correct path to go down...just think how strong this whole experience will make the both of you, as individuals and as a couple!

Brian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Jo, that's wonderful!!! God is listening to our prayers for you, and I couldn't be happier for you than to know things are going as well as can be considering your circumstances. I found out last night that our whole church is praying for you also! ;-) Thanks for keeping us all posted.

Trish said...

Praise God! Some very good news! Still praying for you guys!

Anonymous said...

At last, some good news! Praise God! Jo, continue to say positive. You are such an inspiration! We continue to hold you, Ryan and your family close in our hearts and in our prayers! I am sending you a huge bear hug!

Hope said...

Jo, I'm so glad things are getting a little better.
Thanks for letting Bonnie come home!!
I'm praying for you and Ryan, and your family too!!
Keep us posted, we love you!!
God answers prayers, and he loves you all so much!

E Driver said...

Yay! Wow, it's amazing that we are cheering for Stage 2 and Colon Cancer. This is fabulous news. I will continue to pray that you will have your own little Chicky boom boom someday, and that everything goes safely and smoothly from here on out...

Kendall-Ashley said...

Hey girl! I am so glad that you got the good news that you might be stage 2! Tremendous! Well, I will keep praying!

Randy said...

Hey kiddo!
Remember I told you the verse that helps me,
Psalm 46:10 (New International Version - UK)
10. "Be still, and know that I am God;" I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.
It was the verse for the VDC weekend #513 that just took place!
Take joy in the little victories and the major problems will be lessened!
Love ya!
Uncle Randy

Anonymous said...

Jo,

I am a friend of Karen Wards, and she had shared your prayer need with me. GOD IS SO GOOD, ALL OF THE TIME. Now we can pray that the tumor will shrink by Friday and they will doctor's will see and know God isat work in your life.

Cathy Scible